are ectoparasites, meaning they ingest the blood of humans and animals. The adult grows up to 7 millimeters long, with a flat reddish/black body. The larvae and eggs are white to translucent, making them difficult to detect. Unlike the cockroach
, cluster fly, box elder bug,
and Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
“stinkbug,” the bed bug
hitchhikes its way into the home. Once inside the home, the insect initiates a search for its new host’s sleeping area. The insect’s goal is to find a discrete hiding place that is in close proximity to its host. This is why bed bugs are more commonly found in mattresses, box springs, and bed linen.
After inspecting the aforementioned hiding places, no bed bugs
are detected, the search will become more difficult. At this point, you have to decide whether or not to continue the search. The odds of the bed bugs
being located are slim to none. It may be in your best interest to entice the bed bugs to voluntarily emerge from hiding. Is this possible? Very much so, with the right equipment, time, and patience. Learn how to drive bed bugs out of hiding by reading the content provided in the article below.
Drive Bed Bugs Out Of Hiding
When your bed bug search is ineffective, you need to take another route. Experts recommend making the bed bugs come to you. Yes, it is possible to entice bed bugs out of hiding by doing the following:
- Transitioning from night-sleeping to day-sleeping and catch the bed bugs in action. Bed bugs are nocturnal insects, meaning they are active at night and inactive during daylight hours. By replicating the insect’s behavior, you hope to catch them trying to feed on your blood.
- Install carbon dioxide “CO2” detectors near your bed. To achieve the maximum results, it is best to center your bed in the room. Place the CO2 detectors on the right and left sides. Switch the power to “ON” and wait for at least 15 minutes to determine if the detectors are working. Bed bugs are drawn to CO2, which is generated by the human body when asleep.
- Take the above task to the next level by installing adhesive traps around the CO2 detector. These traps utilize a sticky substance to capture bed bugs. Depending on the size of the glue trap, it may be possible to capture a dozen or so bed bugs. When the trap is completely full, toss it in the trash bin.
- Utilize hot steam to entice bed bugs out of hiding. A clothing or floor steamer will work for this process. Direct the steam head at a suspicious area, wait for at least 15 minutes before moving forward. Continue this process throughout the impacted room(s).
- Install floor heaters on the right and left sides of your bed. Most floor heaters require about 10 minutes to reach the maximum preferred temperature setting. To eradicate adult bed bugs, larvae, and eggs, the temperature must reach at least 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Once the maximum temperature is reached, another 20 minutes is needed to initiate the extermination process.
- Travelers are at the highest risk of encountering bed bugs than any other group of people. To protect yourself and your assets while traveling, experts recommend a laundry cycle, utilizing the maximum temperature setting. A 15-minute washing and 15-minute drying cycle will definitely improve your odds of not becoming the next victim of bed bugs.
Enticing Bed Bugs To Voluntarily Emerge From Hiding
Bed bugs exhibit deceptive behavior in an effort to avoid detection. Knowing this behavior will definitely play in your favor. Instead of being in the dark, you will know what to expect if ever you become a victim of these insects. Portable detectors have proven to be one of the most effective bed bug devices on the market. However, the proper placement is key to achieving successful bed bug detection.
We highly recommend taking advantage of our free bed bug inspection. This service is available to all Oklahoma City residents and businesses. The inspection is visual and performed by one of our licensed exterminators. During the inspection, the exterminator gathers data to determine the severity of the bed bug infestation, if there is an infestation.
It is crucial to seek an expert opinion without further delay. The female is continuously reproducing, laying up to 5 eggs each day and 500 within her lifetime. There is no time to delay because bed bugs are prolific breeders.
If you try all of the methods above to no avail, immediately reach out to our Oklahoma City exterminators. We offer free consultation and inspection services via appointment only. You can contact our customer support team through social media, email, and landline. Our business hours are 5 days a week and some weekends.